The legal sports gambling industry is up and running in the great state of Iowa. The state pushed through legislation back in May of 2019 and brick and mortar sportsbooks, as well as online sportsbooks, went live in August of the same year.
More importantly, the market continues to grow as more and more sportsbooks, both online and on land, are scheduled to open their doors throughout 2020 and into 2021.
Statewide Brick and Mortar Sportsbooks
There are currently 13 brick and mortar sportsbooks open for business in Iowa. These have all been opened in conjunction with pre-existing casinos.
- Ameristar III
- Catfish Bend
- Diamond Jo – Worth
- Grand Falls
- Harrah’s Council Bluffs
- Horseshoe Council Bluffs
- Isle of Capri
- Isle Waterloo
- Prairie Meadows
- Q Casino
- Rhythm City
Available Betting Apps in Iowa
Online sportsbooks are required to be partnered with brick and mortar establishments as in-person registration is currently the state law. So, whether you are wagering online or in-person, you will need to visit one of the brick and mortar establishments to complete your registration.
There is also a geo-location app to download to verify you are within Iowa state lines. Overall, the process is a bit long but made as simple as possible.
- PointsBet (Catfish Bend Casino)
- HardRock Sioux City Sportsbook
- Q Casino Sportsbook
- Elite Casinos Sportsbook
Upcoming Apps 2020
As mentioned, Iowa has aggressively pursued its sports gambling industry, and many more online sports betting apps are expected to join the fray. So far, due to the in-person registration requirement, many of the major sports betting platforms have yet to set up shop.
However, expect this to change as there are many casinos in Iowa to partner with.
Betting platforms showing interest in the Iowa sports market include:
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- Caesars Sportsbook
Best Bonuses and Promotions
The online sportsbooks of Iowa have strong bonuses and promotions. There are only more to come as well as more apps are scheduled to enter the market through 2021.
- PointsBet Deposit Bonus – The best bonus in the state has to be the PointsBet Deposit Bonus. This bonus is only available upon your initial bonus. A deposit of $50 earns you a $100 bonus. A deposit of $150 earns you a $150 bonus, and a deposit of $250 earns you a $250 bonus.
- Free Wagers – Every online sportsbook in Iowa offers a Free Bet upon registration. After signing up with an online sportsbook, your very first wager will be free up to $25. This means if you win the money, you keep your winnings. If you lose the wager, you are refunded the money up to $25.
Sports Available for Betting
As you may have noticed, there are many Iowa sportsbooks to choose from, and this is a good thing for sports bettors. Competition between sportsbooks helps your odds, payouts, and the sports available for betting.
In Iowa, most of the sportsbooks stick to the traditional and popular American sports, but you’ll have no problem finding international sports and leagues as well such as:
- Football (NFL and NCAAF)
- Basketball (NBA, WNBA, NCAAM)
- Baseball (MLB and NCAA)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Soccer (MLS, Premier League, World Cup)
- Combat Sports (UFC and Boxing)
- Golf (PGA, LPGA)
- Auto Sports (F-1, NASCAR)
The payment options available in Iowa will vary from sportsbook to sportsbook, whether online or brick and mortar. That said, what we’ve seen thus far is industry standard: Cash, debit cards, credit cards, bank transfers, or specialty prepaid cards are available via the sportsbook of your choice.
Legal Betting Age
You must be 21 or over to legally gamble on sports in the state of Iowa. Restrictions also apply to anyone associated with a professional or collegiate sports team or league.